1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage Chanel dress ??!?!?!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Laquita, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Laquita

Laquita Registered Guest

Thank you vintagedevotions...I swear I'm still in shock...and it really,truly had nothing to do with the possible monetary gains...it was more the vintage couture find of my lifetime...damn....

2. Buckarooandco

Buckarooandco Registered Guest

I'm so sorry. But it was such an exciting story, anyway.

And while it may not be Chanel, it's still absolutely gorgeous.

3. Laquita

Laquita Registered Guest

It was an exciting story, and of course it wasn't quite the ending I had hoped for-but you're absolutely right,it's a gorgeous dress-thank you for reminding me of that!!

4. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

I agree... for the price you paid for it, it is still a stunning dress - Chanel or no. If you had paid $1,000 for it, I would be devastated too, but for the price, I think this is still a great find. If I found this and it had no tags, I would still think it was stunning. Even if the interior construction is not couture, someone would really cut a striking figure in it either as period costume or creative red carpet or deco ball if its solid enough or for display.

5. listitcafe

listitcafe Registered Guest

I had a painting which Sotherbys appraised at 40,000 - they sent the painting to be authenticated by artists family though their expert said it was real the family refused to authenticate it and killed the whole. It was a big let down... But I learned a ton about paintings and the authentication process....

Its still a great story the dress has value and you will get more then you put into it. But you never know what may happen when you sell the dress....

-Chris

6. Laquita

Laquita Registered Guest

That's crazy about the family...how frustrating!! Haven't quite decided what to do with the gown, we'll see....thanks for that story though!

7. StormVintage

StormVintage Registered Guest

Laquita, I have just read through this roller coaster, and would love to know what happened in the end :D

8. Laquita

Laquita Registered Guest

It certainly was a roller coaster-sheesh! The gown is now reclining on a guest bed, I got busy with work and just haven't really decided what to do. I may end up selling her on Ebay, with an explanation of the findings. Bottom line is it is a really gorgeous vintage dress on it's own. Thanks for asking about her!!

9. TLotstein

TLotstein Registered Guest

Hey,
    OMGosh! You found a stunning dress!

In case you need someone else to contact, you can try the Victoria and Albert Museum in London ([email protected]). I recently contacted them about a 1940s wedding gown I bought, because I'm trying to get the dress cleaned and stored in the next 3 weeks.

Good luck and congrats again on a great find!

10. bycin

bycin Guest

My heart is weak looking at this lovely, lovely dress...so beautiful! Don't you look at things like this and ask them, "Can you tell me about the person who wore you last?"

LOVE this!!

11. Really late to the party but that is a really freaking stunning fabulous dress for $5! Label or no label. Congrats!

12. Laquita

Laquita Registered Guest

Thank you all SO much- it is a gorgeous vintage gown and I will post when I sell it! I need to find a size 2 or 4 model to take nice photos first!

13. bycin

bycin Guest

Heck, Laquita, look no further. I'm a 2/4!!!!

I'd LOVE to prance about a photo shoot in this #. So FAB!!

14. Laquita

Laquita Registered Guest

LOL- are you in NYC??? I'd love to see someone prance in that gown!!

15. bycin

bycin Guest

I used to live in Nolita till 7 years ago...used to. But that dress needs a model so badly I'll have to fly out!! ha ha

16. Laquita

Laquita Registered Guest

To all the lovely folks who followed the saga of this gown,just wanted to let you know I finally decided to sell her! We'll see how it goes, I've enjoyed the journey and just examining her up close for a year- now hopefully she'll find a wonderful home and be worn in public again!!!

17. uklfstyle

uklfstyle Registered Guest

such a gorgeous vintage gown!!! :D love it

18. bycin

bycin Guest

I want to wear it...just once. I love it!

19. Laquita

Laquita Registered Guest

Aww....I hear ya!!I wish I was a size 4/6, I'd keep it!!

20. lilli-lu-cil

lilli-lu-cil Registered Guest

What a beautiful dress!:wow22: