1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage Chanel dress ??!?!?!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Laquita, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Laquita

Laquita Registered Guest

I really do know the difference between voided velvet and appliques!! Here's the photos-First is the outside of the dress.Second is the inside, showing the stitches. Last is a shot of me holding an appliques that is loose.

2. Laquita

Laquita Registered Guest

Inside of dress showing hand stitching.

3. Laquita

Laquita Registered Guest

Holding a loose applique up-

4. vertugarde

vertugarde Alumni

Thank you very much. I wasn't questioning your knowledge - it's just interesting to see applique on a dress from this period when devore or voided velvet was very popular on other fabrics silk, chiffon, satin for example.

5. Laquita

Laquita Registered Guest

You're welcome- and I hope I didn't come across as snippy with my remark. I am amazed at all the hand work on this gown- a LOT of hand sewing on those appliques!

6. gaildavid

gaildavid VFG Member

What a wonderful thread to read! Congratulations on such a fabulous find....and what an amazing story/rescue! :jawdrop:

This is sooooooo much fun.....for all of us!

Gail

7. Laquita

Laquita Registered Guest

Thank you Gail and Marty!!! If you've read this whole saga, I apologize for repeating myself. In all my years of hunting and thrifting and auctioning and loving every minute, with little treasures here and there that I've kept or let go...this one takes the cake. To this day it is still blowing my mind. It's looking like she's off to London on Monday, for valuation at auction. I may never see her again, and I have mixed feelings. But...I feel honored that this experience came into my life and the joy of really looking over and admiring such a vintage beauty....I will never forget how fun and amazing this has been.Thank you all so much for all your support and sweet words- I will post more if you want to hear it...it has meant the world to me!!!
    :adore:

8. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

Of course we want to hear all about the follow-up. We all LOVE the hunt and thrill of discovery so much. It's fun to share. Thanks!

9. Late to this as well and so very glad that it was bumped up!! I am so thrilled for you and will continue to watch what indeed happens with your amazing find!!!

10. sandymess

sandymess Registered Guest

Yes, do keep us posted!!

11. Buckarooandco

Buckarooandco Registered Guest

OK, it's been a month...any news on this? I've been waiting here with bated breath....

:party:

12. fashionpoor

fashionpoor Registered Guest

That is absolutely STUNNING! Congrats on such an incredible find!!!

Lisa

13. Laquita

Laquita Registered Guest

After all the enthusiasm, excitement, and disbelief-I'm in such a sad state. It pains me to even write this to you all because it's such a drag. The gown went to Kerry Taylor- after viewing the photos she was super excited about it too. She needed to examine it in person, and it took awhile because she's so busy. She actually took the time to call me instead of just emailing. She was very kind and explained-unless, this is a prototype of some kind, it is probably a copy someone's seamstress made for them, and they put in a real label from another Chanel garment or hat or whatever. The "tell" was the inside construction-she said Chanel was impeccable and picky about the finishing on the interior, and the finishing on my dress was just not correct. The hand sewn appliques, the silk taffeta, the design-fantastic- but the interior was just not up to par. She suggested I contact Andrew Bolton at the Met, and that she would "eat her words" if he said otherwise. So....I'm going to try and contact him and get his opinion. But I do believe that Kerry is an expert, and she was thrilled to sell the gown...until she examined it. Believe me, I had a good cry after I spoke to her.

:wacko:

14. cactusandcattails

cactusandcattails VFG Member VFG Past President

Oh NO!

But trying to look at the bright side, it is still a great "copy" and should have worth as such, right?

15. vertugarde

vertugarde Alumni

Thank you Laquita for bringing us up to date. I can understand your disappointment but you have done a great service by bringing this dress to the forum and showing how important it is do do the research and get an expert opinion. This is also why some of us - guilty as charged - go on about wanting to see the construction of a garment. Construction is often a dead give-away.

16. Laquita

Laquita Registered Guest

Yes indeed-I sent Kerry the photos of the hand sewing of the appliques too, and she was impressed by that. But the seams themselves, where no alterations were done- were just not finished in a couture way.
    :(

17. debutanteclothing

debutanteclothing VFG Board Member

Oh no! I was just about to post how absolutely amazing this story is and I just read the update. Do get a second opinion. You never know!

18. Laquita

Laquita Registered Guest

If I can get in touch with Andrew Bolton, he's definitely the Chanel go to guy...we'll see!

19. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Kerry Taylor probably suggested Andrew Bolton because he curated the Chanel show at the Met, however, curators don't do ids anymore unless you donate the dress first. You might try asking Claire Schaeffer who has made it her work to study Chanel couture construction and she is a member here at the VFG.

I didn't say anything earlier about your dress, although I suggested you send it to Bret because I had doubts and everyone was so thrilled for you I didn't want to come across as the curmudgeon in the crowd... However, the stitches to sew on the velvet appliques are a bit crude for couture, and the label has been resewn in, and it looks like it might have been sewn in originally in white thread, which would not have happened on a black dress. I may be wrong, but they are red flags.

Anyway, just be prepared to be told by Bolton that he won't do it, if he returns your call. You can get expert advice closer to home.

20. vintagedevotion

vintagedevotion VFG Board Member

I'm so sorry Laquita! You must be terribly disappointed. Thanks for sharing your story with all of us. I'm just sorry it didn't pan out like everyone had hoped.