1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage Chanel dress ??!?!?!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Laquita, Mar 18, 2010.

1. wire9vintage

wire9vintage Registered Guest

Wow. Just ... wow! Good for you following up on it! It was fate. And you know you're going to HAVE to keep all of us posted on what happens. We're here cheering this story on to an exciting conclusion! (and boy, will I be digging deep in those bags of "rags" and all future auctions I'm at!)

Congratulations yet again!

Elizabeth

2. $5?? Have you pinched yourself yet to make sure you're not dreaming, LOL! Congratulations on the find of the century :drinkingtoast:

3. Catbooks1940s

Catbooks1940s VFG Member

what a story! holy crackers, this dress would have been sent to near-certain death, but for you. bless her kind heart for selling it to you, since you wanted it so much.

well, disappointing to learn about mme paulette. although i personally haven't had anything restored by brett, i can vouch for him being very talented and knowledgeable (and nice).

i have an adrian gown in need of restoration i'd have sent to him a while back, but he was very busy with an intensive restoration project at the time.

4. Good grief! I've never heard the like! I'd be dining on this story for years. Eeeeeeekk!!!! It's fabulous! :excited:

5. Late to the party, but WOW! Drop dead gorgeous!

6. Laquita

Laquita Registered Guest

Once again, I couldn't have asked for more enthusiastic and sweet support on this adventure- you all are the best!!!!
    I'm researching images and making some calls...and it is just mind blowing how the whole thing came to pass. Me missing the lot with the dress, and the woman was so kind to sell it to me for nothing. Her granddaughter would have chopped it up or worn it to pieces. I was going to press it and sell it on ebay,thinking nothing of it. Only by bizarre chance did I lift the skirt to check on holes....then noticed a label...then noticed CHANEL. You all can so relate to how my heart almost stopped!!!!
    I will let you all know how this amazing story goes...
    And THANK you all SO much!!!!!!!

7. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

Do NOT under ANY circumstances use Mde Paulettes!!! They stole my Mainbocher label out of a suit. When you get the dress back, it may be clean and lovely, but likely to no longer be a labeled Chanel. And worth then a quarter of it's current value.

Bret Fowler is wonderful. If you cannot use him, then don't do anything. If you choose to use Karen Augusta's auction house, she is a member here at the VFG and she can advise you as well.

Hollis

8. listitcafe

listitcafe Registered Guest

I agree with Hollis.....
    -Chris

9. Laquita

Laquita Registered Guest

Hollis, thank you for that info....that is HORRIBLE they stole your label!!!! How can they have such a fine reputation and do something so despicable??!?!?!? Believe me, I will not use them now.Brett sounds like my man if I do have it cleaned and restored.
    I'm researching images and may consult with Karen- you all have been such a dream through this process-thank you!!!!

10. joules

joules VFG Member

Just to add, that Bret is really nice, and extremely helpful.
    You saved this one, from the brink. You deserve a medal!

11. Lucitebox

Lucitebox Registered Guest

:adore:

I worship your awesome find and I worship you for the savvy manner in which you managed to pull it out of a box lot that went to someone else! By the way, I don't think I would be able to type (or breathe) for days if I'd made your label discovery...and the rest of the story is just too much!

I have dealt with Bret and he is awesome. 100% totally trustworthy and good.

12. Bret's not here in PA anymore- unless of course he moved back. He closed his vintage shop some time back and moved to California. Again, maybe he moved back but I wasn't aware if he did.

13. Laquita

Laquita Registered Guest

You're so sweet,Lucitebox- it is indeed an insane set of circumstances that saved that gorgeous gown from being chopped up or destroyed. And believe me, I think my heart skipped a beat when I, by chance, saw the label. And then I thought, this can't be, etc,etc. You all on this board have really shared my enthusiasm and made this experience even more special-seriously.

Brett's not in PA???? That's a bummer. Well, this is going to be a journey, but I can guarantee she won't be going to Madame Paulette's.

14. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

Has anyone ever complained to the BBB about Madame Paulette's?

You can always ship things too i would imagine. I also think Bret's very knowledgeable. I have not used him, but he's extremely reputable and a nice guy too. But as was said before - the gown as present is still an extreme treasure. I think (i know) I would have had to be scraped off the floor if I found something like this. My greatest "5 dollar ball of discarded fabric" was a very smart 40s Lilli Ann so far but in the unpopulated area that I used to live in, that was unheard of. If I were you, I would nicely type up on acid free paper the name of the auciton house, collection or person its from and the story about what happened and keep it with the dress. I love serendipitious tales like that and surely someone else will far, far down the road.

15. BijouVintage

BijouVintage Alumni

:cheer: Wow! what a great find! I am thrilled for you! Keep us posted!:cheer:

16. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

Also late to the party, but loving the story. How great that you had the gumption to ask the other gal if you could buy the dress from her bag, (not even knowing what a treasure it was.) One of our members knows Chanel inside out and it will be interesting to see her take on the dress. She's currently working on another project, but you should hear from her soon.

Meanwhile, thank you for sharing your find. Also, you might want to search "Chanel" on this board. There have been past threads that could be of interest to you.

17. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Bret is back - the California thing was just temporary.

18. Laquita

Laquita Registered Guest

That's great news about Brett!! Bijou, I will keep you all posted on this journey. Amanda, I look forward to any Chanel experts opinions and ideas on this dress.
    I was thinking I would try and contact Chanel directly on Monday...I'm still in a fog over the best way to approach all this....but I feel really honored to be given this opportunity to do it!!

19. Leisa

Leisa VFG Member

Yowza!

Congratulations Laquita! Now that's the greatest vintage karma if I've ever heard of!

Lucky Girl, you. :adore:

20. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Late to the party as well and just went :jawdrop: ! You hit the absolute jackpot no question - and the dress is absolutely gorgeous!

In my other "collector area" - fashion dolls like Barbie - I often hear people say that these incredible finds don't happen anymore, that the market is dried up, but I know for a fact that they do happen, I have a friend who made the vintage Barbie doll find equivalent to this. I guess it's the same everywhere - patience and luck! These finds do still happen, and you are the best proof :spin:.

I've never found anything quite as spectacular, either in vintage dolls or vintage fashion, but my personal highlight were the 1950 Dior shoes by Roger Vivier at the local Caritas shop for a price that was less than even new "nice" shoes ;). Talk about weak knees...

Karin