1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEW TO THE FORUMS? Please introduce yourself here! 2021

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Information Center - Welcome to the Forums' started by denisebrain, Jan 20, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

NEW TO THE FORUMS? Please introduce yourself here!

If you have just registered why not introduce yourself to the rest of us? Tell us a little about who you are and what you like because we'd all love to get to know you.

Use this thread for posting an introduction to you!!

Also check out the rest of the Public Information Center for frequently asked technical questions to make your stay an easy as well as pleasant one!

Here are a few links to help you get started:

Welcome to the VFG

How to Get Help with Your Vintage Fashions

How to Post a Photo

2. Evylania

Evylania Registered Guest

Hello to all of you! I have always been into vintage fashion. My mom used to dress my sisters and I in very beautiful old dresses and even though I felt it was maybe too much back then I now wish I could have these dresses made to my size!
    Thank you for letting me in in this forum as I do have some questions and would love to share some of my best finds!
    I hope you have an amazing day / evening!
    Evy

3. denisebrain

Welcome Evy! Please do share with us your best finds!

4. liveshopdie

liveshopdie Registered Guest

Hello: I'm Trixie from Live Shop Die. I used to have a store in NYC but was driven out by high rents years ago. My love of vintage is lifelong though, starting with the hand-me-downs I wore as a child, a necessity that blossomed to a lifelong passion. I love beautiful vintage things. I guess I've been lurking here, looking at the Label Resource, and I didn't even know that I could register as a guest and take part in these forums, so it's a happy surprise to find myself here now!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
  5. CharlinDesigns

CharlinDesigns VFG Member

Hi All, I'm Carole Charlin. I'm just starting to get the hang of this exchange. I've been a designer most of my life following in the footsteps of my great-grandmother who working in Hollywood and made clothes for Shirley Temple, and with my grandmother made all of my clothes as a child. So of course, I learned to sew. I grew up in Los Angeles and in high school I made all of my clothes and haunted all the local vintage clothes shops, which in those days were stuffed with the cast off clothes from the studio wardrobe departments. My focus was on jackets mens and womens - peplums, shoulder pads, and buttons which I paired with my homemade wide-leg, high-waisted trousers. I bought dresses too - took them apart seam by seam and made patterns to copy the style. I loved it. I started selling vintage on EBAY with an estate sale purchase of women's unworn designer shoes from the 1970s - 1990s and a collection of Lucille de Paris exotic skin handbags from the 1940s to the 1960s. I've been selling vintage on ETSY for a number of years now. It's a very eclectic collection of things I find in various ways. Estate sales mostly. Carole - 1959  Four Leaf Clover.jpg

6. denisebrain

Trixie! It's so good to see you here! What years did you have your NYC shop? I feel as if I went there. What are you up to now?

7. denisebrain

:hiya: I'm so glad to see you here Carole! (Everyone, Carole is pretty new to our trade member ranks.)

You have a great eye, and I can see you have an interesting story.

8. liveshopdie

Hi Maggie! Let me think...We had two stores, starting in 1986, first on e 13th Street in the East Village, moving to Avenue A in the same neighborhood, and staying there until 1999. I mostly sell on eBay now (sure miss the discussion boards there!) with some private sales, and the odd flea market clear the decks sale once in a while. My boyfriend and I have an old trailer in the woods about three hours away from the city that we go to weather permitting, and that keeps us somewhat sane.

9. denisebrain

I am pretty sure I remember your shop (love the name) in about 1990 on a visit to NY. An old trailer in the woods sounds like a pretty great getaway!

Midge and liveshopdie like this.
  10. liveshopdie

If you remember an eclectic little shop with vintage clothing, furniture, collectibles, and a working black & white photobooth, that was Live Shop Die.

liveshopdie.gif

11. denisebrain

Yes, I remember that photobooth!

Su Thomas and liveshopdie like this.
  12. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

13. CharlinDesigns

CharlinDesigns VFG Member

Hi Maggie, Thank you for the introduction. Looking forward to reading your book:
    Wear Vintage Now! Choose It, Care for It, Style It Your Way

14. Ania ELK

Ania ELK Registered Guest

Hi Denise, I've been stitching for over 50 years, did Fashion Design in the late 70's, then went on to do Costume. I've been a historical interpreter for over 20 years. I've been making costumes and clothes for too many years..... I was rather lucky to be taught by my aunt who worked in a fashion house in London from the 1950's to when it closed in 1974. I have a rather large collection of fabrics/haberdashery/patterns and some clothes/shoes/bags etc which I'm working my way through. I've always had a rather eclectic taste in clothing and been heavily influenced by historical costume from many different periods. I love cut and style, something modern clothing seriously lacks. I specialized in corsetry and tailoring and love the technicalities of clothes from the 50's. I've spent the last 10 years working for my local county council teaching Adults to sew. I think I may have a few labels to add to the list, hopefully they will be of interest to everyone. Thanks Ania

15. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

Hello @Ania ELK
    So nice to have you here

CharlinDesigns and Midge like this.
  16. Magic

Magic Registered Guest

Hi, I’m Emily! I am from Seattle and my favorite decades to collect from are the 1960’s and 1970’s, though I wear and sell pieces from any era I can get my hands on. I love Gunne Sax and Levi’s and my style inspiration comes from rockstars, movies, fantasy novels and pictures of my mom and her sisters in the 70’s.

17. Midge

Hello and welcome, Emily @Magic ! It's great to have you here! So good when you have your style inspiration right in the family.

18. MrsBernier

MrsBernier Registered Guest

Hi! I am a housewife with loads of bags of clothes that I need to get rid of, most have been in the bags for at least 15 or 20 years, I have really enjoyed learning about using tags to identify and just learning about fashion period! I am thinking of buying and selling , much later down the road so right now it’s just about know how to price these things that I have had to accept I will never fit into again! I tried to just “trust the people “ but got burned taking a guys offer of 20 to see him resell for 80! So, here we go!!

19. Midge

20. anotherday

anotherday Registered Guest

Hello dears, thank you for this so useful forum ! I have a passion for seventies to early 2000 designer clothing, mostly european ones. I'm not working on fashion industry or running a business in vintage, just a girl who, time to time, sell, buy and trade her own clothes (and pardon my french )

Joanie and Danielle Risdon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.