1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2005 NEW TO THE BOARD? INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Information Center - Welcome to the Forums' started by artisannes, Jan 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marie92001

marie92001 Registered Guest

Thank you Chris!!
    I guess when i come across a label i will have to ask then as i am not good with dating!
    Thank you VERY much!!!!

:wacko:

2. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

You probably know more than you give yourself credit for looking at the entire garment :)

Chris

3. bixchix26

bixchix26 Registered Guest

hey there, I'm not a member (YET!) but new to the board. Just started selling stuff on ebay in January, after many years of collecting, primarily Edwardian to early 1930s.

My handle on ebay is Bixchix26, and I have a goofy Web page too, at www.lauratoops.com. Come visit!

Laura

4. bixchix26

bixchix26 Registered Guest

Hi all, I'm new to the group -- not a member yet, but Maureen extended the invite for me to visit these boards.

I'm a lifelong collector and lover of all things '20s! Just began selling on Ebay in January 2005 under the handle "Bixchix26" (yeah, I love trad jazz, too), primarily Edwardian to early '30s.

I'm a writer, teacher and all-around reprobate. Please feel free to visit my Web site, where I will soon be selling vintage items to cut out the Ebay middleman. I'm at www.lauratoops.com.

Drop on by and enjoy some silly essays, novel excerpts, etc.

23 skidoo

LauraMT

5. Patentleathershoes

Hi Laura!

Welcome to our forum :)

Thanks for the link, I will definitely check your site out. You are among kindred spirits, as there are many 20s and 30s lovers here too. I tend to veer into the 40s and 60s in my personal dress, but i collect occassional tables (strange, huh?) from the 1930s and other deco era decorative items, and am a handbag enthusiast who loves finding and learning about handbags of all sorts from the era.

Chris

6. Hi Laura. :hiya: Great to have you here! I will take a look at your site, too.

Feel free to share your finds or ask questions. We are a friendly group and try to help solve all the vintage mysteries.

7. Patentleathershoes

Laura, your site is so much fun! I am enjoying all the twists and turns.

I read your favorites book list, and notice there is a book on slang.

My educational background is in the theater and I was always interested in period slang. I am a weirdo but it always bugs me to hear turns of phrase in period film that would just not have occurred.

I also took a look at your auctions...very cool. I have always been a little bummed out that for some reason 1920s and 1920s inspired frocks look like sacks of potatos on me. I have been constantly trying to figure out if i was doing something wrong or i just have to admit i don't have the right shape for em. Why can't i be satisfied with what actually does work for me right? well that would be no fun LOL

Chris

8. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

Hi Laura, and welcome! :hiya:

I love the 20s and 30s, but my collecting passion seems to be
    50s.

Haven't had a chance to check your site yet, but am looking forward to
    it (sounds like fun!)

Sue

9. bug12oz

bug12oz Registered Guest

Hi Laura.......

You will like it here, trust me.
    I think I am the odd ball of this group, I love the 70's look!!!

But welcome, and I have it on my to-do list to look at your site.
    I am in the process of finishing mine, but I keep changing the layout and design every few minutes. Just too many options to play with...heheheheheh...

Welcome and I hpe you feel right at home...

Jamie

10. Hi Laura,

I thrilled to see you made it in ok!!

I was listening to Bix today and wondered if you had arrived yet, and here you are. FABULOUS!!

Make yourself at home. You are now in good vintage company! Feel free to show off some of your collection. We'd love to see the goodies. Personally I lean towards 60s - being a former flower child of San Francisco :D but I love all vintage. I just can't get enough!!

Welcome again!

Cheers ~ Maureen (and fellow Bix fan!)

11. vrock

vrock Registered Guest

I am much more a vintage shopper than a seller but I came across a gorgeous vintage Halston beaded jacket/top at an estate sale this weekend and knew that for $20 I had a steal. I have had a hard time pricing it or dating it and your site has been incredibly helpful. I used the tag finder to confirm that it is indeed vintage. WooHoo! This is fun. I can see how I could become a vintage addict very easily. Thanks for the wealth of information:USETHUMBUP:

12. Patentleathershoes

You are welcome!

Be warned...when you talk about a vintage item, people are going to demand photos to drool over LOL :)

How did you find us by the way?

Chris

13. Patentleathershoes

Oh, and by the way,...this board is for buyers, sellers, appreciators, etc...everyone's welcome!

14. vrock

vrock Registered Guest

I'm going to take pictures tonight hopefully. I don't have a mannequin (sp) so I'm not quite sure how I'm going to photograph it to do it justice.

I am a singer in an old country/rockabilly band and I'm always on the look out for vintage dresses to wear while performing. I was out Saturday looking at Thrift Stores and Estate Sales and I came across this gorgeous beaded jacket. It's very heavy and I really couldn't tell it was vintage because it is in such wonderful shape...but even a lable dummy like myself recognized the name "Halston" I almost didn't buy it but I kept thinking "that has got to be worth something" so I went home and googled it and was shocked to see how much pieces like this go for. I drove back immeadiately and handed the lady $20.

I have been a thrift store junkie since my teens (I'm 38) but I never really thought about being able to turn my passion to profit...I am definetly thinking now!

15. Patentleathershoes

That sounds so cool! We had a rockabilly workshop awhile back and talked about the fashions associated and what folks look for. It is archived in the workshop forum within this very chat forum. Check it out. :)
    We have workshops all the time...in fact we will be having a series on different designers all summer long starting a bit later in June as well. Everyone is welcome :) this is a great place to learn. I learn something new everyday.

We also have quite a few sellers that offer things that might be up your alley, and this is a great way to get a heads up on things that might be offered before everyone else gets their hands on them. Keep your eyes open for lots of sneak previews of great things, and if looking for anything special, you can always post in the "wanted" section and you might get some direct links to items for sale all over the net from reputable sellers directly too those items you are looking for.

BTW, vrock, what is your first name so we know what to call you? Unless your parents were very "creative" ;)

16. Patentleathershoes

Oh by the way, i have used tissue paper to stuff things up before i had a mannequin. I got a hanging half form that are very reasonably priced in the middle - before i got the mannequin but post tissue stuffing.

17. vrock

vrock Registered Guest

Actually my parents were fairly creative - My real name is Venus;)

Thanks for all the tips. It's incredibly nice of you and I appreciate the help.

18. Patentleathershoes

Thanks for all the tips

that's what we are about here. I am sure others as they log in throughout the day will give you a :hiya: as well.

My real name is Venus

Cool Parents! :thumbsup:

have fun!!!!

19. Venus, welcome!!:hiya: Glad to have you here. Don't worry about a manni, just stuff it with tissue paper or plastic bags. We want to see a picture!!

20. elsewhere

elsewhere Guest

ohhhh that jacket sounds neat! I can't wait to see pics! (hint hint)

Welcome Venus!:hiya:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.