1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2005 NEW TO THE BOARD? INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Information Center - Welcome to the Forums' started by artisannes, Jan 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. b*a*vintagequeen

b*a*vintagequeen Registered Guest

Welcome Louise!

Damaged clothes....from a particular era or particular fabric content?

2. gaildavid

gaildavid VFG Member

Hello Louise. :hiya: Welcome to the VFG!! :spin:

Gail

3. bug12oz

bug12oz Registered Guest

Hello from Jamie!!!

I like the doll clothes too!!!!
    And I know what you mean about vintage lingere!!!

Welcome aboard!!!!:clapping:

4. BarbaraVilliers

BarbaraVilliers Registered Guest

Actually my screen name derives from an ancestor. I descend from James III of Scotland and amongst others I have a connection to Barbara Villiers the infamous mistress of Charles II.As we are alike facially and also in temper lol I decided to take her as a screen name.
    My dolls clothes are usually made from 60's and 70's fabrics so I'm always pleased to get vintage garments that are distinctive but damaged for this use.My own collection of vintage ranges from Edwardian through to the 70's , Usually I give the 20's a miss as I'm too busty to wear those garments although I have a stunning 20's jacket in black velvet that I do enjoy wearing.I also love vintage ermine garments and much to my shame I once ruined a muff by exhuberently twirling it around. I now have to find a replacement and take more care in future (sob)
    Louise

5. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

A lot of members seen to find a lot of great deadstock fabrics from a lot of different eras too...so keep your eyes open. I am always amazed to see what they find!

And that is so interesting about the name...I'll have to look up Barbara V>'s bio and read more about her

Chris

6. Hi,
    Welcome Louis!
    That's a great website. I loved my Dawn doll growing up. You make some really cool clothes.
    On a side note, maybe it is just my laptop moniter but I find it very difficult to read you font. Is it just me?

7. cotmyey

cotmyey VFG Member

Nope, not just you. The dark purple background is why. The capitalized letters seem to blur out, and the smaller font is okay for me.

8. BarbaraVilliers

hey the font is difficult I will get my husband to change it.
    Louise

9. bigchief

bigchief Alumni VFG Past President

Hi Louise, and welcome!

:hiya:

Carolyn

10. elsewhere

elsewhere Guest

Welcome Louise!!:hiya:

I love your doll clothes!! Now where on earth did you find a sewing machine that small?:horny:

Glad to see you here!

kristine

11. Bebse1

Bebse1 Registered Guest

Thank you both to Gail and Maureen all the way from California for the warm welcome:roll:
    Sorry for being so quiet the last days but I have been much too busy working :(
    BUT tomorrow I will fly to London for a great weekend away with my boyfriend. I canĀ“t wait to go and do some nice shopping.:clapping:
    Speaking of Norway. I was actually born there, haha. I am half Danish.
    Next week I hope to have some more free time to get to know you all.

Take care
    Kristina :hiya:

12. Hi, Kristina! Wishing you a warm welcome from Illinois USA. :hiya:

13. BarbaraVilliers

sewing Dawn clothes

LOL Kristine I handsew these outfits!!! a sewing machine would take more time when working on that tiny scale.
    Louise

14. Hi Louise and welcome! I have a whole box of vintage fabric. I will have to see if any looks 60s or 70s. Those outfits are darling.

15. bug12oz

bug12oz Registered Guest

Welcome one and all!!

My name is Jamie. I pretty much a newbie myself.
    You will find yourself drawn to this place like a moth to a flame.
    I can't believe how much I have already learned from being a member the last couple of months.

So welcome again and tell your friends!!!!!:spin:

16. BarbaraVilliers

Linda
    That would be great !
    Louise

17. marie92001

marie92001 Registered Guest

HI everyone!
    I just stumbled on to this board so i am a bit lost for now! My name is Donna and i just recently got the bitten by the "bug" so i have no clue about anything and am trying to learn but there is SOOOOOOOOO much to learn!! So i apologize in advance if i ask TOO many questions!! I love the 40s and 50s styles as that is all i come across, but i am sure i would love anything 1900's. The only thing i knkow is that metal zippers are good! lol I still cant get the union label straight! ughhhhh.
    Well, i hope to talk to you all!
    Thank you
    Donna:party:

18. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

Hi Donna! We love questions so don't be shy - ask away!

Lizzie

19. marie92001

marie92001 Registered Guest

oh believe me i am NOT shy whatsoever!!! lol I guess the first question i have is about the union labels! I do not know why but this stumps me!
    I read the fashion guild but i want to know how you can tell what label is what after 1955 to 1995? I have some items with the same label ( one is orange, one is blue and white) and BOTH say ILGWU AFL-CIO.
    Could someone explain the difference?
    Thank you

20. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

Hi Marie!

Welcome!

The problem with the labels as they weren't always used consistently. A lot of people used "leftovers until they were gone". As I understand it, the AFL-CIO labels could be more than one color and the color didn't necessarily indicate the year. THe earlier label introduced in 1949 with the sewing machine on it (amalgamated textile workers) i have seen as late as late 60s/1970. I will say that i noticed a few very late labels being printed on black on more of a papery tag, but other than that i have seen orange, blue and red/white and you really have to use other "clues" that the garment gives to zone in on an exact date.

Chris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.