1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEW TO THE FORUMS? Please introduce yourself here! 2023

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Information Center - Welcome to the Forums' started by denisebrain, Jan 11, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanburyHatter

DanburyHatter Registered Guest

Hello to Everyone,

In the 1920s, my grandfather worked for a hat manufacturer in Danbury, Connecticut, thus my screen name here. Thankfully, he worked as a night watchman and looked after the boilers and did not actually make the hats, so was not closely exposed to mercury and other chemicals.

I have an appreciation for all vintage clothing, but my emphasis right now is on old fedoras. I have a couple in particular that I will be posting questions about, hoping for some insight into their history.

Cheers, from Watkins Glen, NY

David

2. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

3. Amelia S

Amelia S Registered Guest

Hi! I'm Amelia and I love vintage clothes for a variety of reasons! I find it quite hard, where I live in Spain, to find good quality vintage clothing so I'm considering opening a little vintage shop of my own. I would like to learn all about vintage clothing and look forward to being part of this community!

4. Carmine & Hayworth

Carmine & Hayworth Registered Guest

Hey everyone! My name's Courtney and I own a brick & mortar vintage shop in North Dakota! I'm so excited to be here and connect with this amazing community!

5. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

Welcome @Amelia S and @Carmine & Hayworth. Amelia is from Spain and Carmine (?) is from North Dakota! We all share a passion for vintage clothing and many members have specific expertise in certain areas, so questions (ideally with photographs) are encouraged. We are all learning all the time.

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  6. Amelia S

Amelia S Registered Guest

Hi @amandainvermont Thank you for the warm welcome! I feel lucky to be a part of this community and have already been made to feel so included xx

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  7. Rock Your Wear

Rock Your Wear Registered Guest

Hello and thanks for the welcome. I have recently(within the past 2 years) gotten into thrifting, and deep diving into vintage t-shirts. Trying to learn and consume all the information I can and also the history of brands and each piece I come across. Looking forward to gain some very much needed knowledge here.

8. Valerie brucker

Valerie brucker Registered Guest

Tho a previous vintage wardrobe weaer, I now just have a few pieces left and at the age of 85, I am no longer wearing these items. But the real reason I signed up is to see if there are any records of my grandparents involvement inKoret of Cal. They were a guess a subcontractor of Koret for many years - the 40’- I’d love to know what happened to the manufacturing part that they ran. Anyone have any info?

wyogems and The Vintage Merchant like this.
  9. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Valerie, what were your grandparents' names or the name of their business?

10. Shel123

Shel123 Registered Guest

Hi! I’m Shel, new here but I’ve been wearing, selling and obsessing over vintage for many years. Nice to find a group of like minded folks x

11. Ron Black

Ron Black Registered Guest

Hello everyone. I'm honestly not really into vintage unless it's late 80s and 90s

I'm trying to figure this out. Apologies. I'm honestly not into old antique vintage. But do collect Polo Ralph Lauren from late 80s early to early 90s. This really old stuff is strictly for money making or trading fir for RL. I will admit an authentic 40s shearing bomber jacket would be nice to own. But I'm not in the right tax bracket. When I bought this guy out. I had no clue what I was getting into. I have 80-100 vintage Fruit of the loom marked no higher than 2.63 or 2.36 for a 3 pack and some have blue under lines with capital F and L and dark purple grapes. Some Jeans are unfinished. But most are bell bottoms. The black BB posted are new as they get. I just want to know should a professional auction house handle these over ebay. I been selling on eBay almost 22 years and maintain perfect feedback. But if anyone has the Ralph Lauren XXL The Big Shirt, original Pwing Blake and Blaire Oxford button downs and caps. From 2020-1990s. Especially his Sportsman Themes.

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2023
    wyogems and Retro Ruth like this.
  12. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

Welcome, Ron! I wish I knew more about Ralph Lauren.

I have not personally dealt with an auction house - Augusta auctions and Kerry Taylor auctions are both VFG members but don't visit the forums very often. My impression is that their primary focus is antique and/or designer items, but I could be wrong about that.

13. BikiniWire International

BikiniWire International Registered Guest

Hello everyone!

As an aspiring bikini/lingerie designer, I appreciate vintage photographs of pin-up models wearing bikinis. I was thrown into vintage wear, while attending Otis Parson's Art and Design in Los Angeles, California. I recall being in a vintage clothing store on Melrose Avenue with my roommate, and our two female friends who were trying on bell-bottom jeans looking quite fashionable!

- Ricardo

14. don hoffmann

don hoffmann Registered Guest

Hello,

I am fairly new to fabrics and fabric collecting - only two years, so far. I collect post-WWII artists' fabrics and products made from them, mainly those of Picasso, Miro, Chagall, Klee, Dufy, Leger, Braque, Dali, Escher, Calder, Saul Steinberg, Matisse, Mondrian, Ken Scott, Warhol, Komei, and some others. Many were made by Fuller Fabrics, Bloomcraft, White Stag, Pacific, JP Stevens, Karl Lagerfeld, Kaktus, Patterson, LaVerne Originals, and Carolyn Winters/Pozitively Prints. I started collecting Picasso sheets/linens for household use purposes and to be used in cushions, but decided to collect artists' fabrics for posterity after seeing the low numbers of these fabrics and items in different world museum web sites.

I am collecting to donate the collection to a museum that will allow them to be displayed, seen and studied by future generations. Hopefully, I will be donating them this year. (I am 75 - no sense putting off donating.)

I have some surplus, duplicated, items that I will soon be listing to trade for items I do not have, including a spare white on black "Notes" Fuller Fabrics fabric dress by Picasso, a few extra pieces of Fuller Fabrics Modern Masters fabrics - one a piece of Chagall's "Evening Enchantment," some Picasso Pacific Miracale (several patterns) sheets, pillowcases, comforters, duvet covers, some 3-yard pieces of Mondrian fabric, and some Picasso Kaktus shirts/jackets/shackets. There will also be a wish list. The first three items on the wish list will be: Fuller Fabrics Modern Masters dresses, Fuller Fabrics Modern Masters fabrics, and other Fuller Fabrics Modern Masters items.

I have written a paper, "Fabric Notes, of a collector," about the fabrics I am collecting and posted it to Academia.edu, if anyone is interested. It is about 80 pages of info and several hundred images I have stolen from the internet and other published and unpublished sources. I have tried to organize it into a semi-understandable form. You may have to join Academia.edu to be able to see it, but it's free for the basic service, I believe. The paper has the only semi-organized listing/images of most of the Fuller Fabrics Modern Masters fabrics that I know of.

At some point soon, I hope to do a second paper listing the articles I already own, with images, as an inventory for museums to look over while deciding if they have a fitting repository, if my collection is worthy of being conserved, and if they have the "wanna" for my collection. I will try to share it with this forum, also.

I am gratefully accepting monetary and artists' fabric donations for the collection if anyone has any. Please let me know if you have either. There are a few more dresses and other items I'd like to add, now for sale, but are presently out of my price range. (I am what I term independently poor - as opposed to being independently wealthy, which I am not.) And there are still lots of holes in the collection for fabric donations and manufactured items from those fabrics. (Especially Fuller Fabrics Modern Masters fabrics, dresses, and other items, my favorites.)

Also, since I've bought (or at least tried to buy) most of the not-too-highly-priced stuff that has sold or been for sale, worldwide, in these categories for the last two years on the internet, I am somewhat of an expert on the prices that I've paid or would pay, if anyone wants some free advice on selling something in the artists' fabrics category. Or if they are looking for a second opinion.

Thank you.

Don

Last edited: May 24, 2023
    wyogems, plousia, denisebrain and 6 others like this.
  15. ELAdams

ELAdams Registered Guest

Hello! I'm Erin and I've been wearing vintage clothes for years. I've recently started selling vintage clothes online, and have found the label resource so helpful as I research pieces. I made an account so I can submit labels from my collection to the database and am happy to be able to add to the resource!

16. amandainvermont

Welcome Erin. We certainly appreciate contributions to the label resource and would enjoy any vintage clothing and accessories conversations with you.

17. VintageParlor

VintageParlor Registered Guest

Greetings! I have been coming to the Vintage Fashion Guild over the past couple of years to find answers to some of the vintage fashion questions I've had, but today I decided to sign up. I'm fairly new to the vintage fashion world... just started collecting (and reselling some) in the last 2-3 years, so I still have a lot to learn! My biggest areas of research tend to be in trying to determine the era/age of an article of clothing and the history of the brand name/label. My favorite fashion styles are from the 1960's and 1970's. Such fun styles and colors! I'm excited to be here and look forward to learning more!

wyogems and Ranch Queen Vintage like this.
  18. amandainvermont

Welcome - Please feel free to ask any questions. Photos are a great help. Our members have a wide array of knowledge and expertise covering many eras.

VintageParlor likes this.
  19. Leigh Wishner

Leigh Wishner VFG Member

Hello Don,

My name is Leigh Wishner, and we have a lot of similar interests—I would be very interested in having a discussion about your collection, and your aspirations. Please feel free to reach out to my personal email: [email protected]

I don’t know if you’re on instagram, but if you can check my @patternplayusa account, I think you’ll see our shared love of artist-designed fabrics…or just a little Google search will reveal my obsessions, professionally speaking!

Special thanks to @denisebrain for alerting me to your unique introduction to the VFG Forum.

Best,

Leigh

wyogems and denisebrain like this.
  20. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

I love when this happens!
    :clapping:
    Leigh, it looks like Don hasn't been to the forums since the end of May, and has only posted that one time. You might be best off trying to start a convo with him via the Inbox tab in the upper righthand corner. Our default settings generally alert forum registrants via email when they have a convo waiting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.