1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OLD THREAD 2004 -just registered? INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Information Center - Welcome to the Forums' started by artisannes, Mar 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello modlucy... You have a catchy user id. If you decide to change it, make sure it is catchy also and easy to remember. I sometimes think about changing my user id. But it took me so long to come up with the one I have now that I don't think I'll be changing any time soon.

Anyway, welcome to the guild.

Carol

2. Hi There Dena!
    I read your me page and love what you wrote about wearing vintage and supporting independent businesses.

Welcome aboard.

I did the name change thing last year and have no regrets.
    My old name was was more like a username I picked when I first started on ebay. It did not reflect my vintage business. I think my new name is much better and easy to remember.
    One tip I have is to chose a name that also has the www domain available and go ahead and purchase the domain if this is something you may expand in the future.

Great to 'meet' you.

Marie

3. bigchief

bigchief Alumni VFG Past President

Hi Dena -

Welcome to the Guild! Hope you aced your exams :)

I don't have any brilliant advice re: name changes - I'm still using the ID I signed up with way back when, and it's not nearly as evocative as yours (Big Chief was my... horse). But I think if you emailed your repeat customers announcing the name change & maybe included a note in the body of your descriptions - "formerly modlucy" (so it would show up in searches) your fans would be able to find you.

:)

Carolyn

4. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

Welcome Dena!

You have some neat items up (saw a couple of things I was ready to
    pop for, but then realized the sizes were 'small' - alas!).

Re the name change, years ago I was going to change mine. Like Carolyn's, mine doesn't reflect vintage 'anything'. I never got around to it however and now am afraid to, fearing a loss of business. Personally, I think "modlucy" is great and as Carol said, it is catchy and easy to remember.

Good luck on your exams!

Sue

5. Hattysattic

Hattysattic VFG Secretary

haha, thought of you as i typed that actually chris!

a nights sleep has refreshed my ailing memory - think it was givenchy sport. so there you go!:P

h

6. ourbabyroo

ourbabyroo Registered Guest

Just wanted to add a big 'ol WELCOME! from Tennesee, Dena! :)

I grew up in Chicago - 33 out of 37 years of my life there! If I can help with anything after your move, please let me know. :)

Christine

7. whatsmineisyours

whatsmineisyours Registered Guest

Hello to all out there!

I only started collecting vintage a year ago, but have built a large collection mainly of 60's/70's and 80's. I decided I wanted to sell on Ebay but found it was so full that I decided to start my own web site!!
    www.whatsmineisyours.com launched 1st November 2004 and it really seems to be taking off! The idea is that it's a kind-of-Ebay type of site, but it's just for vintage and designer clothes and furniture and users also have the option to swap. I've made it really easy to use - I hope!! We are still developing the site, adding new features and defining new catergories.

I'd be grateful if any of you guys could look at the site and let me know what you think. I don't want this message to be a big advert - which I suppose it already is! But I'd love you all to join up and post your fab vintage items!!

I've also met a pretty cool vintage dealer in London, hopefully I can go and buy some great bits in the next few weeks I just need a dressmakers dummy to photo them on, anyone have a spare they can sell me?? I do live in London though!!

All your good or bad comments would be gratefully received - I can take it, I'm a big girl!!

:)

8. alonesolo

alonesolo Guest

Welcome You will find many helpful people here! Your site is great!

Seems to me ( if its not my imagination) that someone was selling a dress form on the vc mall.

9. alonesolo

alonesolo Guest

Hi and welcome

Your auctions look good Nice crisp clear photos.

Re the name change I did it a while back because I had a name that I thought of quickly and didn't like it. It was the name I started here with alonesolo. Still don't like it. But changed my ebay name to fashiontales. I have no regrets.

Agree with the others find some catchy that suits you. Personally I like modlucy. Its catchy and easy to remember.

10. whatsmineisyours

Thanks - I'll have a look. Though postage alone to the UK could be a problem!!
    Thanks for looking at my site, I'm glad you liked it!!
    :D

11. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

Hi Judy,

I am glad that you "unlurked"!

12. whatsmineisyours

was I lurkin??

13. Patentleathershoes

Re the name change, years ago I was going to change mine

Really Sue? I thought the "doll" part was a double meaning about your faeries (they could be considered dolls) and also "doll" as in gal, miss, chic, lass, girl, etc.

14. ellenm

ellenm Registered Guest

Welcome to the VFG. I'll go and look at your site now.

15. Patentleathershoes

Oh...I mean starting to post. I guess that is board lingo.

Let us know if you have any luck with the dress form. I thought I saw one in the mall too. Perhaps Jonathan at kickshaw productions had it. If not, we do have a few British members who hopefully will chime in if they can meet your request.

16. Welcome, Judy!

Nice site! Easy on the eyes, easy to use, & runs fast! Now, if you could do something about the state of the dollar, ha ha...

17. Welcome Judy!! We are getting a good membership of Brits going aren't we!!

Off to peek at your site!

Bonnie

18. Hattysattic

Hattysattic VFG Secretary

hello!

just another welcome really!and to say you can get some fairly cheap dress forms on ebay uk if you look - postage may be a little better.

funnily enough i was speaking to an acquaintance last week who used to own the one of the vintage shops in town, but sold it off for more a more retro business selling 'modern' clothing. different strokes and all that..
    ANYWAY, the reason i was chatting to him was in a desperate bid for website advice as i too had decided to expand from plain old ebay and do the whole www thing...
    he mentioned your website - and i have been meaning to have a look all week!! he seemed pretty impressed with it. so word of mouth has already made it up north in just over a month! i promise to check it out later;)

harriet/hattysattic

19. A big welcome to you! I liked your site and seemed easy to navigate. You had a great idea there!

20. Vintagetrend

Vintagetrend Registered Guest

Hi Mod Lucy!
    I agree ModLucy is a catchy name and don't believe people would see the name and just assume you had just mod things but changing your name can be a good step as well. If you have all the email addresses of your buyers you can make the name change fun for them. Send them a quick email letting them know you are changing your name and anyone who mentions ModLucy when they win an auction under your new name gets something... $5.00 off, free shipping, a little gift or some such thing.
    Then your previous buyers will really remember your new name!
    Hope your finals went smashingly...... boyyyyyy do I remember those!

I have not looked at your auctions but people with fabulous taste have commented on this thread so you are in good company, I am sure they are wonderful!
    Welcome to the VFG!
    Michelle

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.