1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OLD THREAD 2004 -just registered? INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Information Center - Welcome to the Forums' started by artisannes, Mar 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. route66gal

route66gal Registered Guest

Ooooooooh!!!! Is this the Dena that runs the vintage clothing exchange?? I had emailed you waaaaaay back about it and never followed up with you. Bad route66gal, bad! I've been so buried in trying to get my things sorted out into managable groups - I definitely want to join in at some point on that. I have loads of stuff!

Anyway, I'm so glad you're here!

-Melanie

2. whatsmineisyours

whatsmineisyours Registered Guest

I'm really pleased you all like the site!! You know, I can't do anything about the state of the dollar, but there is a flip side! The pound is so strong at the moment that all you US vintage sellers should target the UK, it's so cheap for us to buy that we're getting some real bargains! All of the buyers on my site are UK based, and at the moment it is free for you to post your items - so you've got nothing to loose!!

3. theopshoproc

theopshoproc VFG Member

Very nice website! Welcome a-board! :)

4. materialmemories

materialmemories Registered Guest

WELCOME Judy!!
    <p>What a neat website and an extraordinary idea!!

5. whatsmineisyours

Thanks Dianna!!
    It's all going really well, we just need more people to load their stuff on for swap or sale!!
    Any tips??

Judy

6. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

Tips?

The most important thing is word of mouth/track record and trust. If someone knows someone else that sold something successfully there, then they will trust enough to try it too. It just might take a little time. The other thing is the other kind of trust. Many people are distrustful of new venues. Its not a bad thing. Its a natural thing.. it mainly has to do with people not wanting to make changes unless they are sure about something. If they can assure that their transactions will be safe (on the technical security end) that is half the battle, and the other half is people just being comfortable and used to their old ways, and needing a reason to try something new.

Chris

7. I like the look! Very professional. It looks like you have quite a few members already. Good going!

Yes, it was Jonathan that was selling the dress form - kickshaw productions.

Good luck with your new endeavor and welcome aboard!!

Cheers ~ Maureen

8. bug12oz

bug12oz Registered Guest

hello there.
    My name is Jamie.
    I am just registered to this site. Connie sent me here to you guys after I emailed her a few days ago.

My story is alot different from all you guys here. I will start out that I live in Irving, Texas. Lived in Texas all my life and can't see living in any other state. I have been married almost 9 years and have 3 children. A girl, 7. A the boys are 2 and 3.

I am just getting into vintage clothing. My grandmother is the one that got me into vintage things. She used to own a resale shop in the late 60's, early 70's until I came into the picture. She moved her shop to the garage of my mom's house and we had garage sales every weekend for as long as she could. People have been donating items to my grandmother for years, and still do. She has a house full of items that I haven't even tapped into.

However, now she, my grandmother is ill and my mom is not able to handle the mounting pressure of the clothes and items and helping grandmother in her illness. So we have split the things that need to be done for her. Since I got my love of old things from her, I felt that this would be something that I could easily love and get into. I used to spend hours as a little girl trying on the clothes that she would get.

As far as I can tell most of the clothes and items she has is from the late 50's all the way through the to the early 80's.

I will take all advice, ideals, suggestions, anything you wish to tell me that can me started in learning this wonderful and surprising world of awe I have found myself in.

9. Patentleathershoes

Hi Jamie!

We are glad that you are here!

We would be happy to help with any questions that you have...but of course...as we have found many times, people who don't think they know a lot have a lot of information and knowledge to offer that they do not even realize. Your grandmother sounds like an interesting lady, and she is lucky to have you.

Thanks Connie for telling Jamie about our little board!

Chris

10. bigchief

bigchief Alumni VFG Past President

Welcome Jamie!

It sounds like you have quite a job ahead of you! I'm sorry about the circumstances :( but I'm glad you're here. You've found lots of people willing and able to help.

:)

Carolyn

11. whatsmineisyours

Thanks for your helpfull hints and tips!!
    I think I'm going to put some press comments on the site. We've had some greatarticles in some big name papers and magazines, I think this may make people feel a bit more at ease!! Our press campaign starts in the US in Jan, so that should help us a little more!!
    I've also decided to start selling vintage clothing to make extra cash as it all gets going. I'm going to see a vintage dealer next week, so I'll post my finds for you all to see.....
    ...watch this space!!

12. bug12oz

bug12oz Registered Guest

Thank you very much.

Yeah Carolyn, you could say that again. It is quite a job. I have a whole house of items and 2 bedrooms that are nothing but clothes. Most of them are in great shape, just a little bit of odor to them that I have found is pretty easy to get out. I have a few of the items with me, but I haven't bought the camera to take pics of them yet. Once I have the camera and have gone to the library to find some books, I will have lots of questions.

I have searched my local area and found only places that will take the clothes as donations, but at my mom's request and my grandmother's, they want that to be a last resort. The only way she will get rid of them is this way, by selling them.

I have a friend that said that he will help me create and setup a website.
    Do you think that will be my best plan of action once I know what I have?

And what is the vintage mall thing I see you guys talking about?

Jamie:D

13. Patentleathershoes

The mall is great! go to http://www.babylonmall.com ...check it out! its a great alternative especially if you want to list things for sale at your own pace. And you don't have to feel "alone" like a solo website...everything you need to accept payments, etc is all there too. We couldn't have done it without Deb, our fabulous webmaster extraordinaire who is also the webmaster of this site.

Chris

14. bug12oz

bug12oz Registered Guest

oooohhhh......I love the Vintage mall........

Jamie:o

15. Laura

Laura Alumni

Hi, everyone! My name is Laura, and I live in Ohio (USA). I've already seen some people I recognize, so I'm starting to feel at home. :) I'm 25 years old and married with two dogs and two cats - I'm a sucker for homeless animals!

I own and run http://www.VintageFashionLibrary.com and my eBay store by the same name (VintageFashionLibrary). My personal interest in vintage clothing generally spans 1870-1950. I've always been fascinated by old clothing, and eventually I turned to sewing so I could recreate the clothing I love.

Laura

16. Patentleathershoes

Hi Laura and welcome!

I believe i have bumped into you on the internet before (sewretro).

I hope you like it here and can't wait to check out your offerings once again

Chris

17. Laura

Laura Alumni

Hi, Chris! Yep, I'm on SewRetro. I've seen your auctions on eBay, too, and I LOVE your business name!

Laura

18. Patentleathershoes

Thanks! Sometimes i don't think people really know what to make of it but i guess it is distnictive enough :)

I have not really posted there in a year (so busy it is hard to be everwhere :)....but your site stuck in my mind.

Chris

19. gaildavid

gaildavid VFG Member

Hi Laura...Nice to see you here. It's a very nice place to be :)

Gail

20. artisannes

artisannes VFG Member VFG Past President

Hi everyone - I have started a new thread for 2005 so can all newbies now use that one to post to. We look forward to meeting you all :)

Anne Dettmer (artisannes)
    VFG President

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.