1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OLD THREAD 2004 -just registered? INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Information Center - Welcome to the Forums' started by artisannes, Mar 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Welcome, Kari! Welcome, Cheryl! Great to e-meet you!

Steph

2. vintagemeggie

vintagemeggie Registered Guest

Hello everyone! I was hangin' out at the Water Cooler & just found this now...

My name is Karen. I live in NB (east cost of Canada) on a farm, in the sticks, lots of deer & coyotes. Moved back here (I grew up here) a little over a year ago from Maine (before that RI, NC, NS, ON, NFLD). 1 hubbie + 2 kids.

My hubbie and I took east-coast swing lessons a few years back & that's how I fell in love with 50s vintage clothing. I am a newbie at it & am learning as I go.

Thanks for inviting me!

Karen

3. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

Hi to all the new posters! I "know" some of you from the ebay board, and I'm glad you've found your way here!

Make yourselves at home:)

Lizzie

4. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

Hi Kari, Cheryl and Karen! It is great to have you here!

Sue:)

5. Hi, Karen! Welcome!

Steph

6. bluevelvetvintage

bluevelvetvintage VFG Member

Hi Everyone!
    Have been reading the posts and meaning to introduce myself and I finally have some spare time, so here goes!

I'm originally from the Boston area, but have been living in Florida last several years. I was a chef on private and chartered yachts for the last ten years. That's when I began to seriously collect vintage clothing and fabrics. I would go out searching for stuff in every port we docked at! I always hoped to turn the collecting into a viable business someday and that's what I'm working on now.

I've always loved fancy dresses since I was a little girl. I remember my aunt had two of the most gorgeous 50's prom gowns and I would beg her to let me have them to play dress up. She actually used them as bribery to get me to behave when she babysat for me! If I was good I got to play with the dresses. She actually ended up giving them to some other family member and they cut them up and remade them into totally different dresses. I almost wept when I found out! I alway thought she would give them to me!! Have had a thing for prom gowns and other clothing from that era ever since.

Here I am, many, many years later with all these outfits and fabrics threatening to overtake my home! I have a website that's only been active since mid-february and I sell on Ebay when I have time. It's taking forever to list everything on the site and do paperwork, marketing, search engine submissions, linking etc, plus find more inventory. But I guess you're all familiar with this. I have the utmost respect for the sellers I see on Ebay who can list 30-50 vintage clothing auctions a week. It's amazing.

Since I'm still learning, I don't know how much useful information I can offer, but I'll try! I know it's really important for me to have a place to go when I get stumped about something or just have a place to go where there are other people who love vintage clothing as much as I do!

So, thanks in advance to all of you for being here and offering help to newbies like me!!!!

Theresa

bluevelvetvintage

7. Leisa

Leisa VFG Member

Wow!!!

Look at all the new folks! This is GREAT!

I'm Leisa - my eBay name & vc-mall name is nowandthenfashion.
    My website - which is pretty much a train wreck right now - is nowandthenfashion.com. Actually, I was just seeing what all I could do with it, so I started it on Bravenet for free. Figure it'd be good practice...

I'm assistant manager in a Vintage Clothing Store in Virginia Beach. We also rent costumes & so I'm learning all about that end of the biz, too!

I've been selling on eBay for about 3 years now. For me, it's a bit sporatic, depending on my *day gig* and what else is going on, but I hope to start listing more - consistently - Soon!

Welcome to all y'all & I hope we'll see each other often! This is a fabulous group of Vinties. Knowledge, experience, passion and just enough insanity to keep things interesting. ;)

leisa

8. Wee-hoo! Welcome, Theresa! ...and EVERYone knows something that no one else knows! :)

Steph

9. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

another welcome to the new folk - good to have you here!

Hollis

10. kokoliko

kokoliko Registered Guest

Hi,

I recently found this site after lurking on ebay's vintage clothing boards for a while and figured since I started posting there that I'd introduce myself here too!

I'm Monica, I live in Philadelphia, and I'm a fashion school drop-out. I started seriously collecting and studying vintage when I was in Los Angeles and first left school about 5 years ago (I'm 25) and just recently started selling when it finally hit me that this was what I've been basically been building up to! I'm a big fan of just about everything, but espeically love bright colors, bold prints, and anything over the top (either good or bad!). I've learned so much from the short time that I've been lurking around, and can't wait to learn more! (I'm almost embarassed by how much I forgot since school!)

So hello and thanks for being here!

Monica

PS My ebay ID is orangeblossomspecialvintage (yes to the Johnny Cash reference)-I have no idea why I didn't use that as my ID here!

11. MemphisVintage

MemphisVintage VFG Member

Welcome Monica! Glad you found the VFG. I am sure you will enjoy all the great conversations here on this board. I also have learned lots from a lot of great people.

Welcome!

~ Marlene
    :)

12. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

Theresa (bluevelvetvintage)-

we will have a lot in common - i moved from Boston (where i was for 7 yrs) to florida too !

chris

13. kokoliko

Hi Marlene!

Thanks!

Monica

14. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

Hi Theresa and Monica!

It is so great to read everyone's introductory posts! And,
    wonderful to 'meet' you all!

15. alonesolo

alonesolo Guest

I haven't had a chance to read this in a while I am amazed at all the new faces and excited too! So interesting to read about you all and glad you shared stories with us!! Welcome everyone!!!

16. bluevelvetvintage

bluevelvetvintage VFG Member

Hi Monica and welcome aboard! Everyone here is so helpful. I was alway intimidated by posting to message boards, because it seemed everyone else was so much more knowledgable than me. But all the people here make you feel so comfortable and there's so much you can learn!

Chris(Patent Leather Shoes) Do you miss Boston? I like Florida and I sure don't miss those winters, but I really miss Beantown. It's such a fun city!

Theresa

Blue Velvet Vintage

17. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

Theresa,

Nobody can know everything - and everyone - whether perceived to be one of the "knowledgeable ones" or not, learns from everyone else. some people may be a walking encyclopedia on one aspect or two of vintage, but someone else might know about another.

Don't miss the winters. left right after we beat the winter of 78 for biggest blizzard by just a few inches. I miss the instant gratification of hopping on a train, bus, and having access to anything at all, my friends, and all the happenings. I did miss the nature, wildlife, animals when i was in Boston so that is what i love about my home now that Boston did not have.

chris

18. kokoliko

Thank you all so much :D

Monica

19. Tamara

Tamara Registered Guest

Hello to everyone!! First of all, I want to say that I'm not sure what in the heck I'm doing!!! I have ALWAYS loved vintage clothing, but never really thought much of it. Sure, I have some awesome dresses that I have picked up to go out in with my husband, (is it just me, or do you find that anytime you wear a vintage little black dress, traffic stops and everyone wants to know where you got "the dress"??). Well, I've been wanting to find a way to earn a little bit of money, but not hate doing it AND be able to do it in between my hectic schedule with my kids. My Mom saw a great person named "SUSAN" on the news the other morning and called me in a hurry to tell me to watch. It seems that Susan sells her vintage wares on eBay. WOW!!! Mom said, 'right up your alley'!!! Well, I researched a little and found Susans email address and wrote her. Okay, a shout out to Susan right now!! She was so awesomely sweet and gave me some wonderful advice. The best piece was joining this forum:). So, here's my goal: 1. To research vintage clothing from 40s to 70s. 2. Sell it, okay, well sell what I don't keep, lol:).

Well, please forgive me if I bombard with questions, but I was known in H.S. for asking too many questions, oh yeah, and I got the "most school spirit award too".

Can't wait to meet ya!!

Tamara
    (please read this with a heavy southern drawl as I'm as southern as you can get:).

20. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

Hi Tamara...and Welcome!

Susan is wonderful....and she is a member here as you obviously seem to know and I'm sure she will be 'by' at some point today or this evening.

As for research, this place is a great start....and there are super
    knowledgable people here to answer your questions.....so ask away!

You sound like the majority of us - we buy, keep some and sell some, but
    we all share a love for vintage clothing ....and the learning is an on-going process.

Oh...we have several 'southern belles' here, so in that aspect you are
    right at home!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.