1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are you NEW?? Introduce Yourself!! 2006-2014

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Information Center - Welcome to the Forums' started by Patentleathershoes, Feb 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi, Jessica. It's Rita from Living Fifties Fashion. I can so relate to this statement

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Hi Rita & Jessica,

I am sure you will get familiar with the site very soon. We are all looking forward to seeing you and having you join us in the forums.

3. nimnim90

nimnim90 Registered Guest

Hi everyone...
    I used to collect vintage clothes etc as a student back in the '70s, shame'edly gave loads away over the years but keeping my favourite 'finds' for myself. I collected about 50 dress patterns too, which I thought would be a 'nice project' one day...and that day's here!
    With all this 'sewing bee' stuff around in the media I decided to pull the box out and investigate. One of my projects was a 1940's suit which had been adulterated by it's previous owners - especially the skirt waist hacked off with a very crude strip of elastic inserted :no:; this is my first project; and it's this that lead me here seeking out information...it looks good here with loads of valuable info...:hiya:

Leonardo Da Vintage likes this.
  4. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Welcome Nimnim, sounds like a great project.

5. salsalero

salsalero Registered Guest

Hi,

My name is Lawrence and I am new here VFG.

:)

6. shalae

shalae Registered Guest

Hello! I am new to the forums, but not new to the Vintage Fashion Guild, I have been an avid collector of vintage fashion for many years and come here to date some of my pieces I have collected. I look forward to learning more about vintage clothing. It is more than a hobby, it is my lifestyle. :)

7. Welcome to the forums, Shalae :)

8. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

Nice to have you here!

Hollis

9. MissRita

MissRita Guest

Welcome Shalae! :hiya:

10. Lady Scarletts

Lady Scarletts VFG Member

Happy your here!!

11. sewingmachinegirl

sewingmachinegirl VFG Member

Hi Shalae and welcome :hiya:

12. Sherrys.Camera

Sherrys.Camera Registered Guest

Hello everyone. I joined this forum because I am seeking info on a store that in business in Los Angeles, CA back in the 1940s. My mother was a model there and I would like to know something about the store.

I am a grandmother, a family genealogist and enjoy digital photography, graphics (Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro) and animation.I live in Houston TX and will be 60 yrs young New Years Eve.

Glad to be here and I am sure I will find many interesting things because I enjoy history and anything "vintage".

13. poppysvintageclothing

14. Sue Kenny

Sue Kenny Registered Guest

I'm new. This was given to me.

Please note that your photos have been moved to forum indicated in the next post below by admin

15. poppysvintageclothing

16. Unuluncalousa

Unuluncalousa Registered Guest

Hello Nise website you have here!

17. MissRita

MissRita Guest

Hi Unu! Thank you and welcome to the VFG :)

18. lavivintagefinds

lavivintagefinds Registered Guest

Hello! My name is Lavinia (Lavi for short) and I am thrilled to be on this forum! :hiya:There are so many interesting posts that i am forced to stay up at night and read them all! I love fashion - my pinterest account can attest to that as i have more than 3,000 pins for style inspiration. :) I am a stay at home mom and my husband is a full time student, getting ready for med school. I am a graphic designer and i was hoping to open my business at home, only that it takes some time. In the meantime, i got the idea of selling my clothes on ebay, but once i sold them, i pretty much got addicted. Not necessarily for the fact the i can make some money on the side, but because i just love finding new things. I recently started paying attention to vintage clothing and i always wonder of the history behind them. I mostly shop for dresses and skirts, rarely for anything else, unless it really speaks to me. I am planning now to read up on all i can find (btw, thank you for the Amazon link with all the book recommendations) so i can learn more.
    This is a great resource and i love being here, so thank you for this awesome site!:cheer:

19. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Welcome Lavi! Glad to have you here.

lavivintagefinds likes this.
  20. MissAbsinthe

MissAbsinthe Registered Guest

Hello everyone!
    I'm new too :)
    My real name is Jopie and I'm a 22 year old girl from Amsterdam. I often go by the name of Miss Absinthe since this is my model/performer stage name.
    I discovered my love for vintage in 2010. I first started out by buying cheap reproduction dresses but once I found out about real vintage I stopped buying those and started my own collection. By now I have sold the reproduction dresses on ebay and I almost exclusively wear true vintage.
    My biggest love lies with the 1950s though I own clothing from the 1940s to the 1980s. I love floral prints and heavy velvet dresses! Also, I think a dress looks best with a nice pair of stockings and heels!

I have one of those so-called vintage figures which makes it almost impossible for me to find 'new' clothing that fits. They are always too tight on the bust and hips and too loose in the waist!
    I really love the 'hunt' for the perfect dress. Luckily Amsterdam has some great and affordable vintage shops, and then of course there's always ebay, though shipping costs to the Netherlands are almost always sky-high.

One other love for me is costume making (and wearing). I have been doing this since I was 12. My most recent one is the modding of a 80's wedding dress I found in a thrift shop for 10 euros. I dyed an ombré to green at the skirt and made giant wings to go with it, and I added loads of extra crystals to everything. I really felt like a faery princess when wearing it! My next costume is going to be a period perfect 50's Cinderella costume. I already found the perfect lucite 50s heels and there's a vintage 50's dress pattern on the way that I'm going to use (with a few adaptations).

In daily life I'm a student. I just started studying English culture and literature at the University of Amsterdam. Other than that, I am a freelance painter and illustrator. I also dance rock 'n roll and I like to read and go to the cinema.

Hope that was enough about me!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.