1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are you NEW?? Introduce Yourself!! 2006-2014

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Information Center - Welcome to the Forums' started by Patentleathershoes, Feb 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lizzie Giles

Lizzie Giles Registered Guest

Hello all!

I am new. Looking forward to diving in and starting sharing and chatting! :sunshine:

2. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Welcome Lizzie! Where are you based in the UK?

3. AGuzzi

AGuzzi Registered Guest

You made your stand pretty nicely.!
    link removed by admin

4. vintage_valerie

vintage_valerie Registered Guest

Hi everyone! Vintage enthusiast, hunter, thrifter here;) I'm new to the forum and just wanted to say hi. I enjoy searching for vintage treasures at thrift stores, yard sales, online, etc. I collect vintage clothing, linen, ephemera, etc. but my fav is the vintage clothing. I mourn some of the things iv'e let go of in the past but i'm moving on, counting on my eye and a blessing from above to find new treasures! Hoping to make new friends here who enjoy vintage stuff as well and also getting some advice now and then. I'm thinking of opening an Ebay store so I'm sure I can also learn a lot from you all.

Today, am thinking about the shabby chic look for my livingroom and took out my old victorican lampshade I found years ago and bingo, it fits my lamp perfectly! I'm amazed this thing is still on the frame considering its silk, the tassels still swing and all...and the light is so beautiful and diffused when turned on. It's these little things I live for!

5. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Pinkcoke likes this.
  6. Ussrvintage

Ussrvintage Registered Guest

Hello everyone! I am vintage lover from Lithuania. Happy to join tis forum. I am selling vintage from Soviet era.

7. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Welcome! Soviet era vintage sounds very interesting!

8. sewingmachinegirl

sewingmachinegirl VFG Member

Hi Valerie, and Ussrvintage,
    Great to see you here, and hope we can see some photos soon :)

9. Meredith Ashe

Meredith Ashe Registered Guest

Hi there!

My name is Meredith. I am a long time lover of all things vintage but am new to the business. I am struggling to date some of my fabulous finds but am learning. Looking forward to learning even more. . .

Meredith

10. Stelmyra

Stelmyra Registered Guest

Hello everyone!

I've always loved vintage decor and outfits and have always wished I could tell what style was from what era. It was only today that I stumbled upon the website and this forum and I'm glad I did :)

I'm looking forward to learning from everyone here and sharing our finds and our love for all things vintage. I've already gone through a few posts and am loving the pictures!

11. joules

joules VFG Member

Welcome!
    We're glad you found the site, and look forward to your posts!

12. Stelmyra

Thank you Joules. Your Etsy shop is full of beautiful finds!

Currently I'm a stay at home mom and would love to sell vintage things on Etsy. I just need a little more vintage know-how!

Do you have any tips for pricing things? Any rules that you follow? (And I understand I can't advertise my own wares, per the rules. I'm just grateful for the opportunity to learn!)

13. sewingmachinegirl

sewingmachinegirl VFG Member

Hi Stelmyra, and welcome!. I hope you enjoy it here.:)
    Maybe if you do a little swatting up on etsy listings it would help you, kind of a compare and contrast exercise on how different sellers market and price their vintage etc....

peaceful vintage likes this.
  14. Welcome and glad that you found the VFG site.....you will enjoy it and I'm sure we will enjoy what you share here on the Threads!:hiya:

15. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

Welcome. Where ever you plan to sell, just follow their guidelines, research what you plan to offer, describe it accurately, show clear photos, describe all flaws, and you will do great. We have a variety of resources here, we have our q&a forum to assist when you need a helping hand, and we have many members who have written books as well as a section that shows where you can get their books should you want to learn more about any specific fashions and/or eras they have written about.

16. joules

joules VFG Member

Why, thank you so very much, for your kind words.

Gayle and Caryn provide some great advice for getting into it.

I enjoy buying and selling.
    I always try to shop selectively, for things that have intrinsic quality in terms of materials, construction and design, that additionally are in good, solid condition. Repair and cleaning, add to the investment, so I mentally calculate those added costs when I'm shopping for resale. I always love finding pristine, new old stock items! And pieces from wildly talented designers, that helps!

I like things that are a bit unique, that I would personally like to keep (if space were no issue) and cool things that I'd have worn when I was younger. I find "run-of-the-mill", average everyday vintage fashion items, a bit boring. There has to be some kind of wow factor or little interesting twist, in order for me to get excited. This could be a fabulous print, a wonderful textile, a soft woolen plaid, or anything of true beauty.

Those are some of the things that guide me. Hope that makes sense. :)

I guess to answer your question on pricing, I research to determine what the market will bear.

peaceful vintage likes this.
  17. Stelmyra

Thank you all for your advice, kind words and warm welcome.

I read through just about all the articles offered on the website, it's a wealth of information! I was also reading an article on another website and it mentions Lot numbers and Style numbers. Are these really no longer used? I just found something at my local thrift store with a style number on it but it doesn't seem vintage to me.

My thrift store trip yesterday resulted in me buying a few pieces that I *believe* are vintage, but not totally sure. I'll have to take some pictures and post them in the Q&A section and see what everyone thinks. One of them is a skirt suit that I might just keep for myself even though I doubt I'll ever wear it out. I just love it!!! Maybe my husband will appreciate it ;)

Joules: Thank you for taking the time to outline a bit of your mental process in picking and pricing. I will keep your tips in mind!

18. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Style numbers are still around for sure, they're just not highlighted on the tag so obviously, they tend to be hidden in a long stream of letters/numbers on the fabric care label today - I have known them to end with three letters indicating the colour, such as NVY BLK etc. preceded by the season, such as 0514. but determining much more than that requires insider knowledge :)

19. Stelmyra

That is good to know, thanks for all your help Pinkcoke. I noticed your profile says you're 25! When did you get into this line of "hobby"?

20. zilchist

zilchist Registered Guest

Hello everyone, I have already been VFG a couple of days and just found I could say HI and make a short intro here, so "Hi":clapping:. I am so lucky and exciting to find the website and forum which is so warm and friendly here. Most importance is i can learn so much from here and understand deeper and more extensive about vintage. I am always antique-mania (actually I remember there is a word to describe more complex but accurate, But i don't remember:USING:).

Actually my work is to make a research about art history, especially Chinese old paintings. But i have intense interests in Western Art history as well. In other words, only if relating to the culture and history, no matter in China, Europe, or US, even Africa, all are what i am interested in. Back to vintage, i don't remember when i understood and touched the Vintage, maybe there has been hot wind blowing to Chinese market in vintage in recent years. In the beginning, i just went to some famous vintage shops in my city - Beijing, then i found the price of clothing or other vintages are pretty high actually the seller just purchased the products from Euro, US or Japan. So i just wonder why i can't bought my favorites from online directly, thus i searched, searched, searched, finally found you VFG:drinkingtoast:.

Because i am just a beginner of vintage fans, so my focus are mainly 20s flapper and 50s new look which are perpetually classic styles in 20th century in relation with Women Liberation, which is the topic i am so much interested in. Absolutely, there is just a beginning of my collecting. With my deeper understanding to styles of other eras, maybe I will change my taste. Btw, i am not trader, just purely vintage lover. Thank you for all listening to my garrulous talking:hysterical:. Love you all:wow22:

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.